Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

2 ? with interviewing lawyers how do payments work? Whats

2 ? with interviewing lawyers how do payments work? What's standard re: retainer etc? What is it called to pay a lawyer once the case is won? Also with a civil lawsuit is their an option to settle out of court thru lawyers and have pay doc'd? I don't trust that he will pay on his own accord. Thanks

Hello again and welcome.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Most contracts for legal services are on an hourly basis. Some attorneys, mostly personal injury lawyers do work on a contingency fee basis, so they are not paid until they prevail on behalf of the client and then a portion of the judgment/settlement is used to pay the attorney's fees.

There is no standard retainer. Each attorney will typically evaluate the case for him/herself and determine whether a retainer is necessary and if so, how much to charge as a retainer.

Yes, most cases do settle before going to trial, although a lawsuit may have been filed. Mediation is another alternative to settle disputes, either before or after suit is filed.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Kindly remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger. Thank you and all the best to you in 2013.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are there anyhidden laws re a disabled individual (disabled b4 the marrage) receiving money after the divorce from a marriage that lasted 4 years with no children? The original judgement didn't have an ending date due to a bad lawyer , now fired. That judgement has been paid for 4.5 years 1/2 of the monthly salary of the spouse with a job. Not the disabled individual not working. Along with full medical insurance etc. The disabled individual gets that money tax free and was left w/ o any debt
Thanks
Girl from CA
Hello again,

This is a new question, unrelated to the original question, so I must request that you post it as a new question based on the site's policy.

Thank you for your cooperation.