Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My wife is being sued for a medical bill of $6800 the lawyer

My wife is being sued for a medical bill of $6800 the lawyer fee is $1000, fee seems high,I emailed them and asked could we set up payments and they said they would send papers outlining the details, should I go ahead and do this or go to court to see if I can get the amout reduced, and what about the lawyer fee?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

It is always cheaper in the long-term to negotiate and to potentially request a lump-sum payoff that is lower than the amount owed, and potentially ask to waive some of the fees. Otherwise they could pursue you for additional legal fees (for appearing in court), filing fees, collection costs, and interest on the debt. The amount you are being provided as the attorney fee is actually fairly reasonable. Since the debt is fairly high, legal fees stemming from $600 to $1,500 are considered reasonable.

Good luck.