Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I am working with the military and have a misdemeanor 26 years

Customer Question

I am working with the military and have a misdemeanor 26 years ago which qualified for the California Pretrail Diversion program. I successfully completed the program and the charges were dismissed and permanently removed from my legal record. The FBI record still shows this misdemeanor. How should I respond to my employer who has asked me for clarification of this matter.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

Unfortunately, even if your criminal case was dismissed and your criminal record expunged for the non-government purposes, your criminal record with the FBI is stored permanently and generally you would have to disclose it to any government entity when applying for a position or for an employment purposes and provide such government employer with clarification.

I wish you the best of luck!