How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My sister and her husband are both Veterinarians living

This answer was rated:

My sister and her husband are both Veterinarians living in Romania and are wondering what does it take for them to move to the United States and open their own clinic here. What kind of visa they need to aply for to be able to also bring their three children with them?
Thank you,
Amalia Spaulding.

Hi, Thank you for your question. In order from them to move to the US and open up their own clinic, they would need to apply for an EB5 Visa or a Family Based Visa.


EB5 visas are investor visas, available for qualified individuals seeking permanent residence on the basis of starting a business in the US, or investing a certain amount of money in a pre-approved investment fund.

The EB5 “regional centre” visa requires investment in a fund, approved by USCIS, that manages businesses creating jobs in rural or high unemployment areas. The investor must invest at least US$500,000 in the regional centre, which must directly or indirectly create 10 U.S. jobs per investor.


The investor must be able to provide evidence showing that his or her investment capital was obtained lawfully.


EB5 visas are initially granted on a conditional basis. Once the investor can prove that the required funds were invested and continuously maintained for 2 years, and that the resulting enterprise created directly or indirectly 10 full-time jobs, the conditional nature of the green card will be removed.


We note that the EB5 regional centre visa category is a pilot programme and must be re-authorised periodically by the US government. The current authorisation is due to expire on 30 September 2012. The programme enjoys wide support and is likely to be re-authorised or made permanent.


EB5 visas are also available to investors who have invested, or are actively in the process of investing, US$1,000,000 into a new commercial enterprise that they will manage. A US$500,000 investment is possible, but the investor must prove that the business is located in a “targeted employment area,” meaning an area with unemployment at least 150% of the national average rate.

The new commercial enterprise may involve one of the following:

- Creation of a new business altogether;

- Purchasing an existing business and restructuring or reorganising the business in a way that results in a new commercial enterprise;

- Expansion of an existing business by 140% of the number of jobs or net worth; or

- Retaining all existing jobs in a troubled business that has lost 20% of its net worth over the past 12-24 months. This business must have been in existence for at least 2 years.

Applicants must also evidence that this investment will benefit the US economy and either create full-time employment for no less than 10 employees, or in the case of taking on a troubled business, maintain the number of existing employees for at least 2 years. The investor must be engaged in the management of the new commercial enterprise, either through the exercise of day-to-day managerial control or through policy formulation, as opposed to maintaining a purely passive role in regard to the investment. Like the EB5 regional centre visa, this type of EB5 visa is granted conditionally for 2 years.


Spouses and children (under 21) may accompany successful EB5 applicants.






The US gives immigrant visas to certain family members of its citizens and lawful permanent residents.


A US citizen can sponsor the following relatives for a permanent resident visa:
- Husband or wife

- A son or daughter of any age, regardless of the son’s or daughter’s marital status

- Brother or sister, if the sponsor is at least 21 years old

- Parent, if the sponsor is at least 21 years old

A US lawful permanent resident may sponsor the following relatives:

-Husband or wife

- Unmarried son or daughter of any age


Your relative in the US begins the immigration process by filing a petition for you with USCIS.


Certain “immediate relatives” can get a visa without being put on a waiting list. These are (1) a spouse of a US citizen; (2) an unmarried child (under 21) of a US citizen; (3) an orphan adopted abroad by a US citizen; (4) an orphan to be adopted in the US by a US citizen; and (5) a parent of a US citizen, if the citizen is at least 21 years old.


For all other qualifying relationships, the US limits the number of family-based visas it issues each year. It gives first preference to unmarried sons and daughters (over 21) of citizens, second preference to spouses, children (under 21), and unmarried sons and daughters (over 21) of permanent residents, third preference to married sons and daughters of citizens, and fourth preference to brothers and sisters of adult citizens. There are limits on the number of visas that can be given to persons from any one country as well.


Please let me know if you need further information. Please also consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Best Regards, ZDN

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your very informative answer! It helped us a great deal

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Best wishes,

Amalia Spaulding.

Good Luck

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.