Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

hello there, i had a traffic violation case that I need to

Customer Question

hello there, i had a traffic violation case that I need to go to court for in lake county IL. The issue was driving with a suspended licence. I already asked for a continuous for the court date. but I need more time to prepare, since I don't have a lawyer yet. what do I have to do to change the court date again?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

You have to file another Motion for Continuance.

JD 1992 :

A Motion for Continuance is the only method of obtaining additional time.

Customer :

How to file Motion for Continuance? My court date is tomorrow morning. Can I ask for continuance at the court tomorrow?

JD 1992 :

You can, but a Motion for Continuance must be written. You can explain to the court that you weren't able to prepare one and ask permission to "reduce the motion to writing" following the request. That will give you a few days to prepare it.

Customer :

how do I prepare a written motion for continuance? Is it something I have to fill out at the court, or prepare by my own?

Customer :

I was concerning that since this is the second time I ask for continuance, the court would think that I don't take this seriously. Do you think there might be a chance that the judge won't allow my request?

JD 1992 :

There is definitely a chance that the judge will deny the request.

JD 1992 :

He's not required to approve it.

Customer :

what happens if he denied the request? Will I go to jail?

JD 1992 :

What is the charge?

Customer :

driving with suspended license.

Customer :

I haven't gotten it renewed yet. This is another reason that I want a continuance.

JD 1992 :

Have you ever been in trouble before?

Customer :

legal wise? no.

Customer :

i mean i had some speeding tickets that haven't paid off yet. that's why my license got suspended.

JD 1992 :

It is unlikely you would go to jail for this.

Customer :

so whats the worst case of scenario here?

Customer :

Also, I am an international student from China, will this case affect my visa or academic?

JD 1992 :

It shouldn't affect either of those.

Customer :

The thing is, I don't have the money to pay the tickets by tomorrow. Will I be held on because of that?

JD 1992 :

No, the judge will probably give you a little time to pay it off.

Customer :

ok. thank you for the answers. that's all.

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you. Come back and let me know what happens.

Customer :

ok. thank you.

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.

Customer :

hello there, I asked you some questions about my traffic violation case. I went to the court on March 1. and they gave me another continuance.