TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

We were robbed on Friday and again last night. Today, I reported

Customer Question

We were robbed on Friday and again last night. Today, I reported the robery of my bicycle to the manager of the apratments at Galeria Palms in Tempe, AZ. She could not hear me over the phone and I was afraid to leave the apratment unattended, so I asked her to come to my apratment. She could not hear me, so I raised my voice and said please come down because of this.
She came and weedblowers (two of them) were blowing weeds outside. She said she could not be in my apartment because she is allergic to cats. We tried to talk on the patio, but it was extremely noisy. I talked over the noise. She had a witness. She claimed I was yelling AT her. I asked her to close the gate during the day because the robberies (and many home robberies) happen duirng the day. She refused. By the way, the police asked to to talk with our neighbors to find out if anyone saw anything. One reported a very similar break in. She claimed that a friend had also had a robbery in the same building.
I asked her if there was security wired in the apartments. SHe said no.
My son and his girl friend arrived. They could not hear me talking as they walked within 6 feet of the patio.
The manager then said that she also did not have any security people on the grounds during the day. She is on a task force with Tempe police. She is a new manager. She said she did not have to have a safe environment and did not need to close the gate nor have security during the day.
I insulted her by saying,Use your brain to have security when the robberies occur. She got mad and left.
She sent me an official looking letter via an employee of the apratment complex. It says:
TEN (10) days notice of intent to terminate rental agreement for breach of lease and/or the Arizona Residential Landlord and tenant act. My breach is listed a Non-compliance of lease agreeement by interfering with the operation of a business and disturbing the peace.
It has more clauses about requiring more fees and the total amount of rent even if I comply and leave. I just paid the rent for March today before the letter.
Do I have to move out in ten days?
I had already told them that I was moving back to Ohio May 29.
I think I need an attorney. There are other clauses.
I am on Social Security, since I am 65.
Thanks
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

It would be wise of you to retain a local attorney to handle this matter for you.

You do not have to move out of your apartment. Based on the facts you have recited, your landlord is wrongfully evicting you. When a landlord begins eviction proceedings, if the tenant does not move out as requested, the landlord must file an eviction lawsuit in the court.

In your case, you need to send a letter back to the landlord and tell her that you are not going to move out and that you consider her in error and in breach of your lease. Then if the landlord decides to go through with the eviction proceeding, you will need to be able to go to court and explain what happened. I believe that you have a very good chance of defeating her eviction attempt.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please also remember to rate my answer positively so that I am paid by the website for my work.

Thanks
ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We need an attorney. How do I find one, please?

Thank you for your excellent advice.

We all sighed with relief.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
I'm very glad to be of service to you.

You need a residential tenant lawyer. The easiest way to find one is to simply google "tempe arizona tenant attorney". This will bring up a list of local tenant attorneys who can help you.

You can also contact the Arizona Tenant Advocates for referral to an attorney at: (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Best of Luck,
ZDN
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much! You've been very helpful!!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome. Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide to you.