Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Hi. I went fishing last weekend with 2 friends who wanted

Hi. I went fishing last weekend with 2 friends who wanted to go with me in a tournament. We all pitched for the fee and were going to share in the winnings if we we placed. I have a really nice boat, but this time out it the bilge stopped working and the boat took on water and we had to get out of the boat.

One of the guys wants me to replace his 450.00 fishing rod and reel, I NEVER spend that much on a rod and reel. I offered the tournament fee back to them and they said no, you’ve lost your boat. NOW... one of the men wants me to pay him for that rod and reel cause I offered to pay him for it. HOWEVER, I did not know it was that expensive. AND, I HAD NOT DISCUSSED IT WITH MY WIFE, WHICH IMPORTANT. I WAS JUST EMOTIONAL THAT DAY AND WAS REALLY SAD.

question: AM I RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS ROD AND REEL, HE WAS IN MY OF HIS ACCORD. I only spend 50- 100 dollars on my own rods and reels. PLEASE HELP, HE THREATENED ME BY SAYING HE WOULD TALK TO HIS ATTORNEY. I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Hi

I suggest you are not responasible for the rod and reel, unless you did something deliberately knowing that rod and reel would be damaged, lost, destroyed

You had no control over you boat

Tell the guy he will have to sue you in small claims court for it.

And, if he does, I suggest he has not a chance of winning. Also, have your other buddies ready to testify for you that you did not toss the rod and reel overboard, etc and that you offered to repay the tourney fee

I think I have answered all your questions; however, if not, please let me know.

Remember, I can only answer and provide true and correct information for what you ask.

Otherwise, please rate this service below Good to Excellent so that I may get credit for my time and information. Thank You and good luck with everything

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. I cannot believe he is trying to hold mr accountable. If we go to court, what do I need to have prepared ?

Hi

I agree. Hes a mess

I suggest you will simply want to have names of your witnesses as to what actually happened with the boat and also that you made an offer to return the tourney fee - which you did not have to.

Each of you assumed the same risk with the fee that you may make it to the fishing spot, that you may or may not catch a fish

Then you just need to see if he is going to sue you.

If he asks you again for the money - request he put it in writing as well as why he feels you are responsible.

Then you can answer in writing that you do not see how you are responsible for that loss since you all assumed the same risk.

I suggest you want to keep it all in writing now.