Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

ra phi

Customer Question

I was convicted of dui in 2005. I successfully completed house arrest and parole then was released from custody. I never paid the fine ordered by the court and recently had a hold put on funds in my checking account by the franchise tax board. Am I still legally responsible to pay the fine even though they released me from custody?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Yes. You are always required to pay the fines, restitution or other monies owed, unless you can show that you are indigent and have no way to pay.

They released you, but your fines are still due - And thus, the freeze.

There is no way to escape owing money to the government at any level

When you dont pay what is owed, in your situation it is sent to a state run central collection agency

I think I have answered all your questions; however, if not, please let me know.

Remember, I can only answer and provide true and correct information for what you ask.

Otherwise, please rate this service below Good to Excellent so that I may get credit for my time and information. Thank You and good luck with everything

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If paying the fine was a stipulation of parole, and I was released from custody then isn't it the states fault for releasing me without fully complying? They could not go back and decide I hadn't completed community service then try to make me complete it 8nyears later right?

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Hi

No. They gave you the benefit of the doubt. You did well on Parole with your compliance other than the fines. They are not going to continue to waste the PO manpower until you pay the fines, nor will they revoke and take up valuable prison space for a fine not being paid

This is how it is done

And yes to the community service, too.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Hi

I see that you gave ME a Poor rating and I am sure it was an error as I provided true and correct information.

it may not be what you want to hear or what you expect, nonetheless is accurate.

Thank you