LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

Our Daughters vehicle was a total loss due to the lack of

Our Daughter's vehicle was a total loss due to the lack of sufficient warning of the flood on January 31, 2013, given to the students from Radford University. The university has made no attempts to compensate any of the losses that each student has sustained and I'd like to know what may be my options and cost in filing a property loss claim against the Commonwealth?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.

LawHelpNow :

LawHelpNow :

Has your insurer had any input on the case, please?

LawHelpNow :

Thanks!

LawHelpNow :

Ben, J.D.

Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

State Farm has deemed the vehicle a total loss, and since I had GAP insurance as well as financing through State Farm Bank, the vehicle has been taken by them, the loan has been paid off and I received approximately $4000 as settlement, which included the subtraction of a $500 deductible. My questions regarding the University and a claim against them involve the reimbursement of the $500 deductible, the cost of the hotel stay to attend to my daughter's crisis, the contents of the vehicle, which were not covered in the insurance policy and any reimbursement for the time and effort that this issue has taken from us.

Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Anthony,
My name is Ben. I'm a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.
Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you good folks.
I commend you for being an obviously concerned parent.
Yes, you absolutely do need to confer with legal counsel, and here's why I say so especially under these circumstances. On account of a legal doctrine called sovereign immunity, as well as more specifically the Virginia Tort Claims Act, special procedures and heightened notice requirements apply. All of that means such litigation is not something reasonably handled by an unrepresented party. I would be lying or doing you a serious disservice to say otherwise.
Now, having said all of that, here's some good news.
Here is a trustworthy and economical resource for scheduling a consultation:

North Carolina Lawyer Referral Service

That's a very handy general resource, but here are some more specific thoughts as pertains to your specific dilemma.

Having carefully read and considered everything you posted, here is what I would recommend based on the information you have shared. I would have your case screened on the merits by a criminal law trial attorney. To help folks in this online venue, I am required to follow site rules including refraining from accepting cases and/or making direct referrals to named attorneys. However, I can tell you where I would turn were I in your very shoes. Toward that end, my very next step would be to take advantage of the resources of the non-profit, American Bar Association accredited, National Board of Trial Advocacy Division of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification. Here is a listing of all such Board Certified Criminal Trial Advocates practicing in your jurisdiction (please just click the following link):

Virginia

It's a very short and manageable list, which I would suggest you keep for future reference. These practitioners would be considered by many of their peers to represent the "cream of the crop", so to speak. Now, there are certainly many highly capable folks not mentioned on that list, as well, but for the most reliable source, that would be my personal pick.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.
I truly hope all works out for you and your entire family.
Take care,
Ben, J.D.
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.