RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

My boss advertised to the company bosses that I tested pos

My boss advertised to the company bosses that I tested pos for pot in a power point presentation on safty to 4 bosses up the line from him Im union I jumped threw all the right hoops to keep my job and then I sit and here this on a conference call im pretty sure he signed a paper so that he and co. lawyer could talk about it . Not all these other people. isnt this a hippa violation. if so is it worth persuing

Thank you for your question.

It's not a HIPAA violation, as that only applies to the release of medical information by a healthcare provider (e.g., a doctor or hospital). Even if it were a HIPAA violation, though, HIPAA provides no civil remedies to a person.

Medical information disclosed to your employer typically is not protected. While you could argue that it was an invasion of privacy, unless you sustained significant and substantial money and reputation damages, I would say it's not worth pursuing.

The best course of action may be for you to sit down with your employer and request that in the future they keep that information private.