Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

My relative has a traffic accidents with serveral friends in

My relative has a traffic accidents with serveral friends in the same car. I am a highway engineer. They want to hire me to form a group of highway engineers and lawyers. I am not an attorney. But I am a registered professional engineer. Can I take a lead role to form the group? They want to pay the group by a portion of the compensation if we win. As an engineer, can I sign such an contract? I works as an employee. I don't have my own firm. Another way is let a law firm to sign the contract. I work for the law firm. I want get paid by a percentage of the compensation instead of by hours. Is that legal?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Unfortunately, you would not be able to legally represent someone in an accident case unless you are a licensed attorney in the state where accident took place and you could not be compensate by a percentage of any potential compensation award or settlement amount and can only be compensated by either hourly consulting fee or by a fixed fee for your consulting work in this case.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer. My relative and friends are willing to give me the fully authrization to lead such a joint group of engineers and lawyers. They are more willing to give a percentage.

If I let a law firm to take the attonery, I signed a contract with the firm to provide consulting service. Or the law firm hire me. I want to my work to be paid by a portion of the potential settlement. It is like a saleman. Genelly, the saleman is paid by a percentage of sale he made. Is that reasonable? Thanks.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

It is not up to your relatives / clients as to whether pay you a percentage of the compensation, but it would be illegal for any attorney in California to share their legal fees with a non-attorney and that is why this attorney will only be able to pay you hourly fee or a reasonable fixed fee for your consulting services.

Unfortunately, there are no exceptions to this rule and no way around it.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney