Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

401k rights

Customer Question

yes i am legally divorced and my company wants me to get some sort of paperwork and get my wife to sighn it showing she is giving over the right to half of my 401k we did not do a settlement agreement when we went to court cus neither one of us wanted to take anything we had to fight over i am just trying to figure out if i have a letter with our names and a place to sighn and get it notarized would work and be a legal document? and would it need to be filed through the courts? and my wife dosnt want half of the 401K my job wants me to just get something saying she has no right to it

Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. First, I have a question for you so I can determine what information to provide you.

Does the divorce decree/final order by the court indicate that both spouses retain the right to their retirement accounts and waive the right to assert an interest in the other's accounts?