Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Do grandparents have legal rights to visit their grandchil

Do grandparents have legal rights to visit their grandchildren?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Are the parents married, divorced, or never married?
.
Are they still together?
.
Have the children lived with you for any extended period of time?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the parents have just recently divorced. The mother, our daughter has just married a felon. We do not agree and she is withholding the children. They have lived with us three to four days a week for the last 6 months.
Ok, I hate to say it, but the GA Supreme Court in 1995 ruled that the GA statute that allowed grandparents to bring an action for visitation was unconstitutional. (Brooks v. Parkerson). The Georgia court ruled that "the 'best interest of the child' standard does not come into play to permit interference with the custody and control of the child, over parental objection, unless and until there is a showing of harm to the child without that interference."
.
So at this point, it is an incredibly hard argument to make in GA that "harm" will occur to the child without the grandparent's having visitation rights.
.
I am sorry the news wasn't better.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.