Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I live in Sarasota, FL. My 15 year old son has been skipping

I live in Sarasota, FL. My 15 year old son has been skipping school. I used to work close to home, now I work over an hour away and he is taking advantage of the fact that I can no longer come home everyday for lunch. After the first notice, I started dropping him off every morning to make sure he got to school. Now what he does, is takes as long as possible in the morning to get dressed to the point were he knows I have to leave him to be able to get to work on time. my job is one that will fire you for excessive tardiness, and he knows this. I do everything I can to try and make sure he goes to school, but he is fighting me every step of the way. I recently got a notice in the mail that he has been reported to the FL DMV for excessive absence (the date range of these absences are within days I know I took him to school. Given all of this, can the school board or other state legal entity hold me legal liable in any way for my son's habit of skipping school.

Hi

I am sorry that your son is being so abstinate about this

Yes, you can be held responsible for his not attending school.

Here is the link that provides the Florida state law in this matter

Please remember, I can only give true and correct information for questions you ask.

If you have other questions, please post them here and I will provide you information. Otherwise, I would appreciate you taking time to rate this service "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close your question. You will always be able to review it. It will only close a Chat - Thank you and good luck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

are they any programs or options for intervention available to me at this time, before the courts get involved. I am trying to be proactive in this situation

Hi

You can look into an alternative class room for him. At this point, his driver's license will not be granted to him

I suggest that you will have to confer with his guidance counselor and see what is available for him -

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the valuable information.

Hi

The law may be helpful to you to show your son and explain to him that this is not just about him

That you are responsible for his behaviors.

Good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I did address that point with him.
Hi

Well, I hope he begins to understand that message. If not, go to the counselor - have them direct you as to the alternatives available