Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

Is it legal for a bank to add a third name to joint bank account

Customer Question

Is it legal for a bank to add a third name to joint bank account without having one of the holders of the joint bank account sign off on it?
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. First, I have some questions for you so I can determine what information to provide you.

Do you know why the bank added a third person to the account? What type of account are you referring to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My father had my sister added to a savings account we were both holding together.

Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.

I see. Thank you for the additional information, Michael.

If your father is one of the account holders and did provide consent to add your sister to the account, that would typically be enough for the bank to lawfully add your sister to the account. The bank would normally require written consent from at least one of the account holders and your sister would typically be required to sign a signature card and account agreement before she would be authorized to use the account, but the facts you have provided do not suggest anything improper was done.

If you do not wish to share the account with your father and sister, you could typically be free, as an account holder, to withdraw funds from the current account and open an individual account.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Kindly remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger. Thank you and all the best to you in 2013.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have: