JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

we had the attorney general contact us about a compliant this

we had the attorney general contact us about a compliant this is in wv what type of penalties could they give to us
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. It would be helpful to know: what is the nature of the complaint?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we did a roof job and we gave the lady payments she claims that she has several leaks and inside damage we have gone up to asses and do some repairs she still owes 1600 and she refuses to pay until she feels the job is done she sent a complaint to the attorney general and we must now reply since then I have filed bankruptcy and it has been discharged and I have quit doing roofs due to my health how should I handle this

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That context is very helpful. Did you have insurance at the time (e.g., errors and omissions)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes we did have business insurance

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Have you contacted your insurance carrier about the claim?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no the job was done in july and we no longer have insurance

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank. Was your insurance in effect in July at the time the work was performed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure I will have to check the exact date it was canceled

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. You will want to check that, for sure. If your insurance was in effect at the time, you want to notify the carrier and ask them to provide representation. That's why insurance is purchased.

If there is no insurance coverage, you simply have to provide a written response to the allegations that the attorney general received. Did you keep documentation of the work you performed and how much is unpaid and the efforts you made for repairs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience: Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what kind of penalties can the attorney general give to us and our company can i go to jail for any reason concerning this situation is this kind of case considered criminal or civil

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the follow-up. The facts that you've described, as you've described them, do not appear to involve any type of fraud. The attorney general won't impose any penalties or file criminal charges, under such circumstances. Usually, they try to facilitate some type of resolution with the complainant. Your insurance company can be helpful in offering a financial settlement.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Attorney