Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Inmate has a TPM of Feb, 2013, waiting on release date, residence

Customer Question

Inmate has a TPM of Feb, 2013, waiting on release date, residence has already been approved Jan 2013. People in the prison that have TPMs in March are going home early but he is still there. Parole people do not give answers. How can a mother help make sure that everything is being done in efforts to release him and his file just not sitting on someones desk?? I just want to know there is something actively happening.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Sam :

hi

Customer:

Hey how are you

Sam :

I am fine. Thank you

With at Tentative Parole Month - that is just what it means "Tentative" possible - set for then but could be sooner and could be later. I suggest that your son's case manager can see if there are any problems that the Parole Board needs cleared up

Sam :

Have you tried talking to the case manager?

Sam :

Your son's case manager in the prison that is?

Customer:

Its a situation where they are so of the "whatever" side of life. His original one had cancer and since left the prison. I have talked to everyone and they give me nothing just saying that it is out of their hands and they have done everything they are supposed to do. They are unwilling to step up in any way!

Sam :

You are correct in that Parole is very closed lipped. And when they make a decision, it is difficult for them to rescind unless there is some grave error of law -

Sam :

And so I suggest, you can only practice a little more patience at this time

Sam :

Most parole boards do not encounter any grave errors

Sam :

and as such their word and their documents are to be trusted

Sam :

It is not yet, March

Sam :

And while others are leaving earlier than the TPM

Customer:

His TPM is Feb

Sam :

That does not mean they all are.

Sam :

Aww I see.

Customer:

Its just one of those things where he can see people going home that have a later TPM and hes just there

Sam :

Well if February comes and goes, then I suggest you contact the Board again

Sam :

And in writing and request an appointment to speak directly with them

Sam :

would that be possible for you to have a face to face meeting?

Customer:

And when I call trying, they all act like its no big deal to say hey this kid has done EVERYTHING asked.

Customer:

In GA you cant go down there anymore like before. They only meet with public Jan and July

Sam :

You have a couple more days in February

Sam :

Oh. I see

Sam :

Thank you for that information

Sam :

I suggest he just needs to be patient

Customer:

I feel like I could be a parole person at this point all that I have went through

Sam :

Not get in any trouble

Sam :

I bet you know alot

Customer:

He had some DR's early in his sentence but nothing since 2008

Customer:

he has done all classed and even has 12 PIC Credits

Sam :

Good.

Sam :

Its just a few more days he needs to wait it out.

Customer:

I just feel like he is being over looked and I cant seem to figure it out

Sam :

I doubt that is the case

Customer:

You are in Maryland?

Sam :

They have him on the radar

Sam :

Yes, I am in MD

Customer:

So when the end of Feb comes and still nothing I just do the same circle?

Sam :

Most of today, I was in VA, however

Sam :

That is all you can do. Remember Parole is not a right

Customer:

Oh wow! Working on a case?

Sam :

It is a privilege

Sam :

And so with that in mind, offenders are at the mercy of the Board

Customer:

Yes I have learned that, however Im just beside myself in how people it a job in the system and cant undertand the value they have

Sam :

and the Prison.

Sam :

Oh they understand it. But they like Power

Sam :

Its about the control and power

Sam :

They forget it is a responsibility

Customer:

That crazy to me. Its sad is what it is.

Customer:

So basically nothing I can do just wait and pray

Sam :

Yes. I agree. But it is that way and patience is the biggest friend you have

Customer:

Should I hire a lawyer? Can they do anything?

Sam :

No. I doubt a lawyer can help you

Sam :

The Board has set a month date to be released

Customer:

SAM!!

Customer:

haha

Sam :

That is the best you can have to hope right now

Sam :

WHAT????

Sam :

That a local lawyer cannot help you with parole matters?

Sam :

They can

Sam :

cannot

Sam :

The Board has a mind of its own

Customer:

:(

Customer:

ok I understand

Sam :

And they cannot do for one because they have a lawyer. Parole must not be prejudice towards those who have money to hire an attorney

Sam :

I wish it was better news for you right now. But you have a few days and he will be home

Customer:

True and I understand that. I just want to know what the hold up is. Thats all just being a mother

Sam :

You will never that.

Sam :

There is no way for you to ever know that

Sam :

Unless your son has done something to get an infraction and that is the hold up

Customer:

No sure. The prison even said that he has been a model inmate

Sam :

Then you would be told about that by the prison officials if you asked

Sam :

There you go.

Sam :

You just need to keep the faith and be patient

Customer:

I did and they said no that he has done everything. So i guess Ill just wait

Sam :

Good. Try to relax. It will happen. He will be home

Customer:

ok

Sam :

Please remember, I can only give true and correct information for questions you ask.

If you have other questions, please post them here and I will provide you information. Otherwise, I would appreciate you taking time to rate this service "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close your question. You will always be able to review it. It will only close a Chat - Thank you and good luck

Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.