How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a person is sick and does not want to go to a hospital but

Customer Question

If a person is sick and does not want to go to a hospital but is told by a doctor and wife (RN) what are the options of getting that RN to take the husband who lives at home to the hospital or doctor for medical assistance?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.


Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about this situation.

In California, an individual has the right to refuse medical treatment as long as they are able to give consent. A doctor will not provide treatment to a patient unless that patient has given his/her informed consent. This is always the case unless the patient has reached an emergency situation, which is defined as a situation requiring immediate treatment of a medical condition that would otherwise lead to serious disability or death.

Accordingly, you are not able to force your husband to submit to medical treatment unless he consents to it, or unless he is in an emergency situation. As an RN who has worked in the ICU, you are aware of when his situation reaches an emergency level and can at that time take him to a doctor for treatment (it does not have to be in an emergency room or by way of an ambulance). I would suggest that if he has become psychotic because of his medical condition, then you can take him to the emergency room and get him admitted for treatment. In the end, the doctor who is going to provide the treatment will make an independent assessment of whether your husband has the mental capacity to consent to treatment that is needed. If he does not, and the treatment is needed to prevent death or disability, the doctor may then treat without your husbands consent (unless there is a living will or declaration wherein your husband has stated that he does not consent to treatment).

Unfortunately, your husband's rights to give his consent to medical treatment outweigh your and his doctor's best judgment as to treatment he may need.

Please let me know if you have further questions or wish to discuss this matter further. Please also remember to rate my answer positively so that I may be compensated for my work on your question.



TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thsnk you for your assistance. I thought you would answer in the manner that you did. I was told that because I am an RN I should have taken him against his will is why I asked for your help in this situation. I just need to know if I will be held liable if he were to go into adrenal failure and the same situation happened again. He did not give me a written consent, nor a verbal consent. He just refused because of being on hydrocoritcosteroids, the dosage being out of range and the Rx continually refilling the scripts. My husband had 13,000mg of hydrocoritocteroids in his system at one the time I attempted to get him to go to see a doctor. In reality because of the medication causing the pshychosis. Because of the amount of medication in his system he ended up with a lower GI bleed and had to have 9 pints of blood. I did some research and learned that when a person has bleeding into the intestines the person is at risk of being dehydrated, lower O2 (which would cause him to make irrational decisions) The blood carries the O2 to the brain so in my understanding there was no way he could make a sound decision. Can I call 911 anyway when it gets that serious?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions