TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

My husband and I are staying at a motel in Appleton WI and

My husband and I are staying at a motel in Appleton WI and we have found bedbugs. I am covered with hive-like whels they get smaller over night to a fluid filled lesion that itches so bad iv'e scrathed my skin off and now my arms are a combination of scabs, hives, and clear fluid lesions. I went to the emergency room with a discharge diagnosis of bedbugs vs scabies. It's not scabies the scab pattern doesn't fit. scabies is like tiny scabs close together in a tunnel-like line. I have no insurance and the meds cost me $81.00. I found that household ammonia almost takes most of the itch away. I cannot stand living with me. I am extremely short tempered and because of the nature of the problem I cannot openly talk about it. The desk manager has made me feel like we brought the bedbugs in and my husband and I are homeless. I am on disability and my husband has bipolar syndrome. What these people don't know is that I have a 40 year nursing background and I am 10 credits shy of a BA in social [email protected]

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.

Based on what you have said, it appears that the motel is denying liability for the bed bugs. In that case, I recommend filing a small claims lawsuit against the motel.

How long were you in the motel room before you received the bug bites?

Do you have a camera with which you can take photos of the infestation?

Are you still staying the same motel room?

Other than the hospital charge, has the bed bug bites cost you other money?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

-ZDN

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Other than the ER charge it cost me $65.99 for hydroxyzine 50mg HCL oral prescribed antihistamine and $7.49 for an otc called Nix spray which kills hypes it kills bedbugs too however, says nothing about killing their eggs. So the eggs hatched and I woke up to 457 itchy bedbug bites in addition to the ones I already had. Thanks Barb

Well, first things first, you need to check out of that motel and go some place else. I've had bed bugs before and they get into everything, so you need to boil your clothes and treat your suit cases, etc.

The next thing you need to do is send a formal letter (1) demanding a refund of the charge for the motel; (2) demanding a reimbursement for all the expenses you incurred because of the bed bugs; and (3) setting a deadline for compliance with the demands.

If the motel does not meet your demands then you need to go to the small claims court and file a lawsuit.

You file the lawsuit at the Justice Center on 320 S Walnut Street.

Here is a guide to making a small claims court claim: http://www.wicourts.gov/publications/guides/smallclaimsguide.htm

Here is the form you will need to use (they will have these down at the clerk's office at the Justice Center too): http://www.wicourts.gov/forms1/circuit/ccform.jsp?FormName=&FormNumber=&beg_date=&end_date=&StatuteCite=&Category=38

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I hope you hold this motel responsible and follow through. It's very unfair that they have caused you to go through this terrible experience.

Please also remember to rate my answer positively so that I may be compensated for my work on your question.

Best Regards,

ZDN

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. I gave you most of the money I had in my account so moving is out as we have no where to go. 2. We are homeless. this is what happens when your children are into drugs and not the welfare of their sick parents.3. dept of homeless and shelters in Outagamie county at first paid the first month here. Then my disability was approved. We paid a lt of bills.Now at least I can count on something from month to month. 4. I am not in good health both my shoulders need to e replaced. Both hips a both prothetic their a 5 stents in my heart and Iv;e had two spinal fusions. I cannot move right now. what I need to know is what is the motels legal responsibility for this issue?i am satisfied so for I just want to know what the motels legal responsibility to me here all chewed up by bedbugs and haven,t had a decent nights sleep since hristmas.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Understand that I'm only an attorney answering questions and only get paid a small percentage of what you are paying the website, which I do not own. But I appreciate the opportunity to speak to you about your problem and thank you for your business.

The motel is legally liable for your "damages." That is (1) the hospital bills, (2) the medication charges, (3) any related charges, (4) return of the money paid for the infested room, and potentially pain and suffering damages if you can prove "negligence" when you sue instead of just breach of contract and breach of warranty. If this motel knew that it had an infestation and put you in that room anyway, then you can get money damages for your pain and suffering.