TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Can individual members of a private club, that is incorporated

Can individual members of a private club, that is incorporated in the state of CT, be sued by a victim's survivors where alcohol was a factor in a motor vehicle accident that resulted in the death of the victim? In this hypothetical scenario the driver of the car that hit the victim was a member of the private club? What if a friend of a member was the driver?

Thank you for your question.

Under the CT Dram Shop Act, an individual member of a private club which sales alcohol to guests may only be held liable under your fact scenarios if the following is true:

1. The member of the club is an owner of the club and the club is not incorporated;

2. The club sales alcohol to an intoxicated person that causes an injury; and

3. The injured party (or survivor) provides notice within 120 days of the death

If this occurs, then the member may be held liable for up to $250,000.00. The member's liability is only secondary to the priXXXXX XXXXXability of the intoxicated driver.

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this matter. Please also remember to rate my answer positively so that I am compensated for my work on your question.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Your answer will be helpful to inform our membership of the potential liability for our club.

Please let me know if there is any other information you need on this subject. Thank you for the positve rating.