Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I live in sc. My husband and i went to myrtle beach for our

I live in sc. My husband and i went to myrtle beach for our anniversary. we decided to go bowling. We bowled an had some beer. we noticed a room where there were pool tables and inquired about it to an employee. He said the area was not yet open but allowed us to come in and play pool. the bartender was setting up but made us some drinks. we played a couple of games and decided we were going to leave but decided to use the restroom first. i went into the womans bathroom and when exiting the stall, slipped in a puddle of water by a drain on the floor and broke my two front teeth on the floor. Can i sued them for my medical bills even though i was drinking.
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

The fact that you were drinking will weigh heavily against you in any lawsuit you file for a slip and fall. In a slip and fall lawsuit, you have to prove that the building owner should have known about the puddle and did not do anything to remove it. The fact that you were in an "unfinished" portion of the building by permission means that you likely do have a lawsuit except for the fact that you were drinking. Because you were drinking, it would be an uphill battle in any lawsuit for the medical bills.

However, I would recommend sending a demand letter to the bowling alley and telling them that you want your medical bills paid because their employees allowed you into a dangerous section of the building and exposed you to unreasonably dangerous conditions which caused your slip and fall and resulted in your medical bills.

A letter like this could potentially get you an offer from the bowling alley to cover some of your expenses.

Please let me know if you have further questions regarding this matter. Please also remember to rate my answer positively as I am not compensated for my work until you do so.

Thanks,

ZDN

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I spoke to lawyer about he situation. He told me to have the adjuster to contact him regarding the case. But this was a year and a half ago. Should I call the bowling alley or is it important that I send a letter?

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

If you have already contacted the adjuster, what I would recommend is sending the demand letter to the adjuster.

If your bills are under $7,500, you could just sue them in small claims court if they refuse to pay.

Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thanks a bunch!