TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

We recently traveled to Mexico and and purchase a "Villa Group

We recently traveled to Mexico and and purchase a "Villa Group Preferred Acess timeshare - paying full price. What would be required to terminate and recover our money? Is there any hope of potential - or just write it off to bad decision?

Thank you for your question.

There are no laws which give you a "buyers remorse" cancellation option for timeshares purchased internationally. The right to cancel, if there is one at all (which there likely is not), will be stated in and controlled by the purchase agreement (i.e., the sales contract). In other words, if there is a right to terminate the agreement and get any of your money back, it will be stated in the agreement.

The only other option would be to file a suit and assert some sort of breach of contract or fraud. You would likely have to do this in Mexico unless there is some basis under which you can legally assert US jurisdiction over the company. The fact thaat you are in the US alone is not sufficient.

So, in the end, there is not much hope for a legal recovery. Your best bet may be to try to defray the expense by selling your timeshare, or otherwise listing it for rent.

Please let me know if you have further questions regarding this matter. Please also remember to rate my answer positively as I am not compensated for my work on your question until you do so.

Thanks,

ZDN

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your response. I had a feeling. This pretty much confirms it - - - hooped!! Should learn to go with my gut instincts.

Please let me know if there are any other questions you have.

Thanks,

ZDN