How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am involved in a case where a lien was filed on my property

Resolved Question:

I am involved in a case where a lien was filed on my property because my builder did not pay the sub.
It was has been on the docket for 17 months I wrote to the judge and he called for a hearing. I told the judge that my builder collected the funds to pay the sub but, did not pay him.
I said I wanted to bring the builder in on the case the judge said I could do that myself.....what do I file to make this happen ?

the sub's sub contractors lawyer has sent a request for admissions I sent answers.
I have not heard anything from the court on it. It has been a month
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.


Thank you for your question.

You need to file a Third PartyComplaint against the builder. The rule which allows you to do this is found at:

The copy of the form you use is:

You will need to tweek the form to match your specific circumstances.

Once you have the form, you file it with the clerk (either county or district) and ask for a "citation" to be issued and ask for the clerk to request that the constable/sheriff serve the suit on the builder. That means you will need to know the builders proper legal name and office location. If the builder is an individual (not a company) you can sue him in his individual capacity and ask for service of the citation at his house or business (you will need to determine these addresses).

In regard to the requests for admissions, it is good that you answered them. However, this does not generally become a matter for the court. The court does not participate in discovery proceedings between the parties unless there is a motion regarding those proceedings before the court. So you won't hear anything from the court.

The best thing you can do is file your Third Party Complaint ASAP.

Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this matter.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help but I haven't been able to print the form

do I just go to the court house the clerk of courts and file this form and they will see that the builder is present for a hearing or what ever they do next?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

If you are not able to print the form, then you can simply copy it into a word document so that you can tweek it from there. I haven't seen any other website with the same form for free.

When you go to the clerk's office, tell them you want to file a third party complaint and that you need a citation and to get service by the constable/sheriff. There will be some more forms that you will need to fill out at the clerk's office to have this done. Once you have filed out the forms and paid the necessary fees, the clerk will take it from there.

Once the builder has been brought into the suit (remember, you are now suing the builder for breach of contract and indemnity), the court will handle scheduling the case. What you want to happen is that the sub will sue the builder too. However, you should be able to recover your costs from the builder, as the builder should have paid the sub when you paid the builder.


TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.