TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I am an RN BSN licensed in the state of Indiana. Can I legally

I am an RN BSN licensed in the state of Indiana. Can I legally open a pain clinic and practice using TENS and/or FSM (Frequency Specific Microcurrent) if I become certified in the use of the equipment and procedures?

Thank you for your question.

In Indiana, a pain clinic would be considered a medical practice and must be owned by a medical doctor with a license to practice medicine in Indiana. This is unfortunately true for almost all medically related practices, they must be owned by a physician.

Please let me know if you have other questions regarding this matter.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. What if it was not called a pain clinic per se? If I used it for pallative care only?

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, attempting to reclassify the clinic by not directly naming it a pain clinic does not have the effect of taking it out of the practice of medicine. Offering any modality of pain treatment to the public will be regulated as a pain management clinic under the Indiana statutes.

The rules are highly restrictive and are designed to put an impediment in front of anyone who is not a licensed physician. It's not always fair, nor does it make a lot of sense (especially in situations like yours where you are offering modalities for which you are completely competent and licensed to offer).

-ZDN