BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

I have a video of my now ex boyfriend molesting me, which I

I have a video of my now ex boyfriend molesting me, which I didn't know existed before, which I found on his hard drive at his apartment 2 weeks ago. I was passed out in the video and only his hands are in the video touching and groping my naked body. I have texts and facebook messages of him saying "yes, i know i did all those horrible things and im sorry!" after me saying he took pictures and videos of my vagina, cheated on me, lied, etc. I also mentioned abuse which he admitted to, but I feel that this video is more evidence than a couple pictures I took of bruises from him months back. So I'm not sure whether I should pursue it or not. He is really dangerous and Narcissistic Personality Disorder, so I don't know if it's worth pursuing. What is the likely possibilities of bringing this to light and following through with the prosecution? I know we can't predict him, but what can I expect legally? How good is this evidence?

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight. I'm very sorry that you had to experience this. It is a horrible act and is actually criminal.

BizAttorney :

Yes, if you brought the evidence to the police, including the video and texts, etc., then they could pursue him for assault and/or rape.

BizAttorney :

While you can't predict him, you can request a restraining order that would help protect you from being near him.

Customer:

Is there any possible way for him to refute the charges despite all the evidence? I have the confession and the video with his hands in it. I just don't want to go into this if the evidence isn't going to be enough.

BizAttorney :

Yes, of course he will refute them and say you were awake and wanted him to do this. It will then be up to a jury to determine if he is guilty or not. Talk to the police and and the district attorney. If there is sufficient evidence, then the district attorney will bring suit.

BizAttorney :

If they don't feel it is enough, then they won't do anything.

Customer:

So if I have a text of me saying specifically that he molested me while I was passed out, and he replied that he was so sorry, that he knows it was horrible, or something like that admitting to guilt, it doesn't prove that he did it? And a voicemail of him fake crying that he will pay for what he's done and if the police come for him he'll go and accept the charges?

BizAttorney :

Yes, that is an admission of guilt and will be admissible in court for a jury to hear. Yes, all of those items would be evidence for a jury to hear and read.

Customer:

Okay. I still don't know whether I should go through it or not.. Do you have any experience of cases like this and what the outcome would be after everything?

BizAttorney :

Yes, I do, but I can't predict the outcome. Even if convicted (which I believe he will be) I don't know his prior record and how strict the District Attorney will be. You've filed a police report, so that is the first step.

Customer:

If I decide to go through with it, and then talk to a district attorney and feel uncertain about the outcome, I can just drop the charges without him knowing?

BizAttorney :

Actually it will get to a point, where you will no longer have the choice. Once the evidence is in, then you may not be able to turn back.

Customer:

When do I have the choice to drop the charges?

BizAttorney :

When it is just a statement in a police report. After you disclose the texts, video, etc. then it will be out of your hands.

Customer:

Okay. Thank you for the information