JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

A girl friend stole a large amount of money from my now spouse

A girl friend stole a large amount of money from my now spouse a few years ago. She was charged with theft and was given a court order to pay back the money she stole. Since she had no money to pay my spouse back, he never saw a penny of his savings returned. We now have knowledge that the thief is making a decent amount of money working, and has moved on from the incident. Is there anyway my spouse can file for some kind of lien on her income (she has no property)? Or is there another way to force her to give him his money back?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the facts you've described. How many years ago did the theft occur?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband isn't quite sure. He thinks it happened in 2007 or 2008, so that could mean she stole the money in those years, or the judgment was rendered in those years.

Thank you. Under the facts you've described, the statute of limitations for suing her in civil court have passed. From a civil law perspective, it's no longer possible to sue her, get a judgment, and seek a garnishment, etc.

Not all is lost, however. If there's a criminal order of restitution, then your husband can contact the prosecutor's office that handled her case and ask them to seek action against her. For example, they can go and seek a wage garnishment or have her arrested on any outstanding bench warrant.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.