TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

how do i go about suing someone for slander?

Thank you for your question.

In order to prove a case for slander in Iowa, you must have evidence that: (1) the publication (statement by one person to a third party); (2) of an untrue statement; (3) which tends to cause damage to one's reputation; and (4) has caused actual damages.

Thus, you would need to assess how much money this has caused you to lose, if any, and show how the statement was defamatory in nature. You will not be able to claim more than $5,000.00 in damage if you want to represent yourself.

You will file a petition in the small claims court where the Defendant resides. You must obtain the Defendant's personal or business address where they may be served with the lawsuit.

After filing the small claims case, the court will assign you a trial date. On that date you would go to court and present your case to the judge. It is a simple and non-formal procedure and is designed for people who are representing themselves.

To initiate the small claims process, follow the procedures at:
http://www.iowacourts.gov/Representing_Yourself/Civil_Law/Small_Claims/index.asp

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. Please also remember to rate my answer positively as I do not receive any compensation for my work on your question until you do so.

Thanks,
ZDN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your time.

You are welcome. Good luck with your case.