Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

My husband and I got married in Austria, Europe. In general

My husband and I got married in Austria, Europe. In general Austrian marriages are recognized in the US. I am Austrian citizen and we would like to recognize our marriage in Oklahoma, where we intend to move soon. How does the procedure work?
Hello JACUSTOMER,

It is true that all states in the U.S. recognize marriages performed in other countries provided that the marriage was performed according to the laws of the country where the marriage was performed, and the marriage is not illegal according to the laws of the state involved (these would be marriages such as an underage marriage, an incestuous marriage, or a bigamous marriage etc).

But there is no "procedure" to have the marriage "recognized." It just simply is as a matter of law. Thus, there is no office or agency in Oklahoma where you would have to register your marriage certificate or license, or fill out any paper work to have the marriage recognized.

As a practical matter, however, what you can and should do in order to have proof of your Austrian marriage in case proof is ever needed is go to the U.S. consular officer at the US Embassy in Austria to have your Austrian marriage certificate authenticated. In addition, you should also get a certified translation of your Austrian marriage certificate.

Thomas