How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3107
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I got married in Austria, Europe. In general

This answer was rated:

My husband and I got married in Austria, Europe. In general Austrian marriages are recognized in the US. I am Austrian citizen and we would like to recognize our marriage in Oklahoma, where we intend to move soon. How does the procedure work?

It is true that all states in the U.S. recognize marriages performed in other countries provided that the marriage was performed according to the laws of the country where the marriage was performed, and the marriage is not illegal according to the laws of the state involved (these would be marriages such as an underage marriage, an incestuous marriage, or a bigamous marriage etc).

But there is no "procedure" to have the marriage "recognized." It just simply is as a matter of law. Thus, there is no office or agency in Oklahoma where you would have to register your marriage certificate or license, or fill out any paper work to have the marriage recognized.

As a practical matter, however, what you can and should do in order to have proof of your Austrian marriage in case proof is ever needed is go to the U.S. consular officer at the US Embassy in Austria to have your Austrian marriage certificate authenticated. In addition, you should also get a certified translation of your Austrian marriage certificate.

Thomas Swartz and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you