TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

A law firm in San Francisco is in the process of legal action

A law firm in San Francisco is in the process of legal action against me for unpaid hospital expenses plus penalty fees. I'm covered under Anthem Blue Cross from my employer and under the same company from my wife's. I've had nine surgeries from this medical facility and this hospital expense is the only outstanding balance. I'm not represented and am at a loss how to effectively handle this situation.

I'm very sorry to hear about this situation.

Generally, even when you have insurance coverage, that insurance policy may not actually cover the entire expense of the medical treatment that you receive. When this happens, you become personally liable for any amount that is due to the medical provider that is over and above the amount paid by your insurance carrier.

I suspect this is what is happening in your situation.

When you are in a situation like this, legally, you have the defense of claiming that the medical provider agreed to accept your insurance for payment and that their charges above and beyond what your insurance has paid are unreasonable, and thus you do not owe them. To assert this defense, you would have to file an answer in the court where the law firm has sued you. You would then need to prosecute that defense all the way through the lawsuit.

This can be a very very difficult proposition without an attorney. Have you attempted to contact any attorneys to inquire into providing you with a defense?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

-ZDN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no knowledge of reviewing or hiring an attorney for this. 225 miles makes for a difficult situation at the get go. I'm assuming representation would be required by a firm/lawyer that works in the city and knows the territory.

The very fact that they have sued you 225 miles away from where you live is likely the result of an agreement you signed with the provider before you received the medical treatment (in the fine print somewhere).

The best thing to do would be to hire an attorney in the city. Your best bet on finding an attorney would be to google "consumer protection" attorneys in San Francisco, or follow this link:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&tb o=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=consumer%20protection%20attorneys%20san%20francisco&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=506791a4fbec8351&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42080656,d.b2I&biw=1600&bih=799

This will show you some attorneys which specialize in these sort of cases. You will want to contact them and talk to them about how much it might cost for a defense in this case. There might also be claims that you can make against your insurer if the insurer is at all at fault. However, this won't be discovered until you have started the litigation and looked into the documents and the facts surrounding payment.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

-ZDN