Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

RA-kyl

Customer Question

Hi. Me and my wife adopted a Siberian Husky Dog 1 1/2 years from a organization by the name Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue. Anyway I was in a bad mood last Friday Evening and called the DVSHR to bring the dog back. They made me and my wife sign a paper and left with the dog quickly. The next day I cooled down and realized that I made a big mistake giving him away. My question is: is there any legal way to get him back, such as a statute of limitations, a certain amount of time we could recover him if we were to change our mind?
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 1 year ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER,

Unfortunately, you are in a difficult position. Whether or not you would be allowed to "re-adopt" the dog would be wholly within the discretion of the dog adoption agency. There is no "legal" remedy available to you to get the dog back. When you gave the dog back to the agency, the paper that you signed was likely some type of transfer of ownership document. And so, now the dog belongs to them, and they and they alone would have the decision of whether or not they want to transfer ownership back to you.

The statute of limitation is a set of laws which limits the amount of time you have to commence a legal action against someone. And it does not have any application here. And there is no law which gives you a grace period after transferring ownership of an animal.

Your best and only real option is to simply work with the adoption agency and try to convince them that you made a mistake in returning the dog.

Thomas
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience: Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to see you thought there was an issue with the quality of the answer, but under the PA law, there is no automatic right of rescission for this type of transaction. The PA courts hold people liable for the written contracts they sign and this is why written contracts are used, to prevent people from backing out of agreements they made. I am afraid that on this type of agreement there is no right of rescission or cooling off period and as such, no legal remedy as the previous expert did try to tell you.