JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

i was convicted of shopliting last year and was dismissed by

i was convicted of shopliting last year and was dismissed by my lawyer, i received a gift card from the same store and purchased something today and paid the difference with my credit card, will there be any problem ? am i banned in that store? what will happen?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the facts you've described. Is your original case all done and over with or are you still on probation for it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The case is all done and was dismissed. My concern was that i went back to the store and purchased something. I received a gift card from a friend from that store and there was a difference of 24 dollars that i charged from my credit card, so i was concerned that i may have done something wrong? am i banned to go back to that store? if i was what will happen to me that i went there and purchased something?is there a database that they will see my name that i went back to the store and purchased something? is this illegal to do?

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If you are banned from returning to the store then what can happen is:

a. Nothing.

b. If you were detected, you could be sued in civil court for civil trespass.

c. If you were detected, you could have been arrested and charged with criminal trespass.

They would have to check their own internal records. As a matter of reality, if you weren't detected immediately by their loss prevention officers, nothing will happen now.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your response, i have to add that it was a different branch but the same company where i purchased the stuff will it make a difference of the same thing as you mentioned earlier apply to it, the credit card i used is my maiden name where as the name that i was convicted was my full married name? will i need a lawyer for this matter?

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
You will not need an attorney if you were not stopped by the loss prevention officers while you were at the store.

As for the scope of the ban, it depends upon the document you at been given. That document will say if it applies to one location or the entire chain of stores.

~~ J.B.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
I see where you read my answer but not where you asked a follow up question or rated my effort to assist you with the law as it relates to your issue. The Site has been having some major systems issues recently so we are not always receiving customer replies or ratings.

If you do have a follow up for me, if you could send it again and let me know this is your second try (so I can let the Site administrators know), I would appreciate it.

Otherwise, if I have answered all of your questions, please take brief moment to rate my assistance to you so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thank you in advance.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience: Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.