Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

My neighbor wants me to sign a easement in order for him to

Customer Question

My neighbor wants me to sign a easement in order for him to dig up my driveway and connect his new home to the city sewerage system. Will he own or be responsible for that sewer line afer he buries it? And is this typcially something a homeowner just signs away or should a monetary settlement be in order
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

LegalBeacon :

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there...I'm sorry for the delay...the JustAnswer site is having difficulties today.

First, you want to make sure you get paid for this because it is a significant encumbrance upon your property. You may not always have a driveway there and a subsequent buyer may want to do something different with the property that is limited due to this encumbrance. So, it does decrease the value of your property for which you should be paid. Then, even if the neighbor does agree to pay for the easement, you want to negotiate an easement agreement whereby he agrees to put the property back just as it was and that he is responsible for all repairs and maintenance of the easement, including repairing the driveway and landscaping. You should also have a right to re-route the easement at your discretion just in case you want to do something different on your property at some point. If he doesn't agree to all this, tell him no thanks.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much! I do have a follow up to my quesiton. So an easement for him to dig up my driveway and place the sewer line last longer then just the act of digging up the drive way and replacing it. The easement will continue for an undetermined amount of time? If something happens with his sewer line then it is his responsibility correct?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome...it's my pleasure to help. Yes, because the easement is for the sewer line that is under your property. The digging up your driveway is simply part of putting the sewer line in, but if anything happens to that line....such as a tree root breaking it, you want him to be responsible. Plus, with the sewer line under the property, you won't be able to build on top of that line. So, you would want the right to terminate it in that instance or re-route it.
Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you also for the bonus! I appreciate your kindness and your generosity!