Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

We have had a very aggressive man pounding on our door. We

Customer Question

We have had a very aggressive man pounding on our door. We left a note asking for the person to identify himself. Today again, we had loud and aggressive pounding on our door and a testing of our front door lock. This behavior has alarmed us. The man has left a squibbled note on a torn piece of paper saying "if you open the door and you will find out. I am process server with the court." Do we have to open the door? We are afraid it could be an intruded rather than a true professional based on the his behavior, no business card and no verifiable identification. What can do? Can we leave a note asking for further identification? Can we ask for the service to be made another way? Can we make a date to meet at the local police station? We don't feel comfortable opening our home or spontaneously needing to call the police.
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Sam :

Hi

Sam :

You do not have to open your door.

Sam :

You can tell the person that you are not comfortable opening the door - that you are not avoiding service buy you would appreciate meeting him at the sheriff's office or ask him to bring the sheriff with him next time

Sam :

The only thing that you need to be aware of is if he is trying to serve a summons and you do not accept it, he can return it as "avoidance" and the hearing will still commence without you and a finding against you can still be made

Sam :

If you have other questions, please post them here and I will provide you information. Otherwise, I would appreciate you taking time to rate this service "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close your question. You will always be able to review it. It will only close a Chat - Thank you and good luck

JACUSTOMER-4leou10v- :

JACUSTOMER-4leou10v- :

Person again came pounding on our door again. We left a note per your instructions asking for identification and phone number so we arrange meeting at local police station. He scribbled a note "That is not possible. just open the door. Call our office E L Johnson XXX-XXX-XXXX"

JACUSTOMER-4leou10v- :

I googled E L Johnson - it is supposibly a private investigator firm. No business card. Can't meet at local police station. While here, he has blocked our ingress and egress with his vehicle. What do you recommend we should do?

Sam :

I suggest you call your local sheriff and report this man as a trespasser

Sam :

And they will come and then you can see who he is.

Sam :

Seems as though he is a private process server and probably wants to serve you with a summer

Sam :

Summons

Sam :

not summer

Sam :