Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Can you legally raise a small number (5-6) chickens within

Can you legally raise a small number (5-6) chickens within the city limits of Memphis, Tennessee?

Sam :

Hi

Sam :

This is what I have found in the Memphis TN Municipal code

Sam :

Sec. 8-8-10. - Keeping of livestock within 1,000 feet of residence or place of business.

permanent link to this piece of content
Full Size Image

No person shall keep any cattle, cows, sheep, horses, mules, swine or goats within 1,000 feet of any residence or place of business in the city without a permit to do so from the health officer. The health officer shall issue permits only when the keeping of such animals in the yard or buildings, and under the circumstances set forth in the application for the permit, shall not injuriously affect the public's health. This section shall not apply to slaughterhouses or city parks.

Sam :

It does not say anything about chickens other than the following

Sam :

All food and feed kept within the city for feeding chickens, cows, pigs, horses and other animals shall be kept and stored in rat-free and ratproof containers, compartments or rooms, unless kept in a ratproof building.

Sam :

It is unlawful for any person in charge of any animal, including, but not limited to cattle, swine, sheep, horses, mules, goats or any offensive animal, or any chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys or other fowl, to permit it to run at large upon any street, alley or unenclosed lot within the city.

Sam :

So it does not appear that it would be against any laws or ordinances

Sam :

However, I suggest you also should be aware of Noise ordiances

Sam :

The keeping of any animal, bird or fowl which, by causing frequent or long continued noise, shall disturb the comfort or repose of any person in the vicinity is prohibited.

Sam :

If you have other questions, please post them here and I will provide you information. Otherwise, I would appreciate you taking time to rate this service "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close your question. You will always be able to review it. It will only close a Chat - Thank you and good luck