Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Hi Ely, I found an item that was in my stolen suitcase for

Hi Ely,

I found an item that was in my stolen suitcase for sale on Craigslist exactly the same date as the theft, December 30th. It is an external hard drive, and it is exactly the same make and model.

What is odd is that the location city is different from the city where the telephone number is XXXXX both in NJ (the driver I mentioned said he lived in NJ). However, the phone number is XXXXX under the name of someone with the same name as a prominent mafia crime family member! (I think I'll leave that alone). Yet, why would someone like that be involved in petty theft?

My question is, should I contact the police, or would this be of no interest to them?

I have not yet had time to begin a civil suit, or to speak to a lawyer (I'm also afraid the latter might be more costly than whatever settlement amount I may receive).

Thanks.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello friend. My apologies for the wait - I was away from the site today. I will answer as soon as I can get to the computer closer to the evening...
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
C,

I am extremely sorry for the wait.

The answer is yes. It does not hurt for them to investigate. Of course, calling them over the telephone may be futile. A party in your situation may want to gather all the evidence and notes you have, as well as have a CLEAR AND CONCISE description of the matter so as not to confuse/bore the officer, and go into your nearest station to discuss this and file a police complaint. Then, the police may investigate.

The attorney may take this on a contingency basis, meaning they do not get paid unless you do. Usual set up is their take is 33% settlement, 40% win at trial, 45% at appeal; plus some office costs. Everything is negotiable. So it never hurts to talk to one.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck!

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and SUBMIT, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.