Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Can I appear at pretrial hearing without an attorney for a

Can I appear at pretrial hearing without an attorney for a DWLS 2nd degree charge?
If so, may I present the evidence I have that support that the charges should be dropped? And how would I phrase that statement?

Sam :

Hi

Sam :

If you are going to represent yourself in this matter, then you can file your appearance with the clerk of the court and appear without an attorney.

Sam :

You may also present your case to dismiss - on a verbal motion and then request to present your evidence as to why the charges should not be pursued

Sam :

You simply state that you are representing yourself and once the prosecutor states the charges and the facts and matters, you can state that you plead not guilty and that you move to have the matter dismissed and explain why you are making that Motion

Sam :

Actually, the rule states the Motion must be made in writing

Sam :

It reads as follows

Sam :

Absent good cause, motions for dismissal or suppression of evidence in criminal cases shall be in writing and shall be provided to the prosecutor or city attorney at least 24 hours before the pre- trial hearing. Motions which are lengthy, complex, or which require the presence of witnesses will be heard by the court at a subsequent 35/3.6 hearing calendar.

Sam :

If you have other questions, please post them here and I will provide you information. Otherwise, I would appreciate you taking time to rate this service "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close your question. You will always be able to review it. It will only close a Chat - Thank you and good luck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you

Hi

You are welcome and good luck