Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

What is the statute that governs a parents right in CT to

Customer Question

What is the statute that governs a parent's right in CT to get information from the guardian by way of depo or a production notice? Have conflicting information.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
CT Statute 46b-136 governs the GAL process. However, the statute states that the GAL represents the child, so the regular discovery rules govern having to depose the GAL and they can claim privilege for some of the information you are seeking under the attorney client privilege. This is one of the big issues with the GAL in CT.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I guess they have atty-client privilege on case notes with the kids.

I was unclear about your former comment re. impeaching. The situation is that the GAL took the fraudulent doc into court and introduced it but did not speak about it. I think she perpetrated a fraud on the court because she never investigated the report and introduced it in court. She never actually filed it . She also lied about when she received the report and used it as the basis for her horrendous "recommendations ten months ago which has resulted in very little contact between me and the kids-- if this can be proved-- do I have grounds for impeachment? And how does an atty miss the fact that there was no signature? Is this possible or deliberate also ex's atty also supposedly did not notice there was signature????

They can have attorney client privilege regarding communications with the children. However, the fraudulent document, if you prove it is fraudulent, then you have ground to file a motion for sanctions and also a complaint with the state bar office of disciplinary counsel if the GAL is an attorney.

You are asking a million dollar question about noticing a missing signature and your guess is as good as mine as to why the attorney may have missed that signature not being on the document and any answer I give you on that would be pure speculation.