MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

Hi, I am reviewing a retainer agreement from a lawyer who is

Hi, I am reviewing a retainer agreement from a lawyer who is to represent me in a civil suit.

Are the terms negociable?

He wants 40%... is 33/35% more reasonable?
He wants ME to pay for ALL expenses... should we split them? Have him pay for expenses from his %?

He is asking for 3000.00 advance... should I propose 1500 now and 1500 in 4 months if I must provide him an advance?

Should I ask him for me to approve expenses before incurring them?

This is my first civil law suit and do not know what is fair/reasonable or not. Seems I am liable for his decisions and actions and he does not.

thanks in advance,

Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Attorneys structure retainer agreements differently depending on the nature of the case, and particularly its value. How much is the attorney claiming from the defendant?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He mentioned, 250,000.00 but not sure, may be more

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sum cases such as this, it is often the case that an attorney will accept a smaller percentage if the client persists and states that he/she will take the case to another attorney. While 33.3% for a settlement and 40% for a verdict after trial are average contingency fee schedules, for a claim of this size there may be room for negotiation. Regarding the advance, this is negotiable, but as the client it is customary for you to pay all expenses, the question though is whether the expenses are to paid up front or substracted from sums recovered for the case. Please le tme know if this answers your questions or if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to positively rate my answers, and let me know if you have any follow up questions.