INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

ra - es

I am having issues with a lease. my lease says that if i break it after the beginning date of february 1 2013 then a 1000.00 fee will be assessed. I moved into my apartment january 17 andout on january 23rd and my apartment manager is telling me i owe 1000.00 plus februarys rent. Im not sure what to do
Hello and thank you for the question. If the lease does not begin until 2/1, what was the arrangement beforehand? were you there for free? on a month to month for that period?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its say the rent for the period of jan 17 to the 31 is 300.00 and i already paid that

You never remained during 2/1 or after. Therefore the high penalty would not apply. You paid the agreed rent for the short period and left. As such, there is no obligation by tenant since never reached 2/1. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer positively.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so what do i do if my landlord is saying i have to pay?

You explain to him that you paid the amount agreed to and that the penalty he is seeking was never agreed to as never reached 2/1. You may do so by e-mail or certified letter so there is a record of your rejection of the demand. Given the status and amount involved, landlord will likely not pursue given legal fees associated with pursuing it.