LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

My fiancé and I were living together. We recently parted ways,

My fiancé and I were living together. We recently parted ways, and I was given one day by him to remove my belongings from the home. In the process I have some of his personal belongings which were mixed in storage bins with my belongings. I have returned most. He will not allow me back into the home to retrieve the rest of my property (and has changed the locks), and that includes my dog, which he sold. It has been 32 days since I left. I was told I could file in small claims but it would be his word against mine. Is there anything I can do to reclaim this property and to have him retrieve my dog from the person he sold it to ?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand your situation and concern. Outside of calling the police and asking them to escort you and allow you into the home to get these items, you would have no other choice but to sue him for damages. You can not use self-help to resolve this and try entering the home, without his permission. It is important to remember that he has NO legal right to keep your personal items and had no legal basis to sell your dog. As such, he would be liable to you for the damages suffered, as a result of his actions. If the dog is yours and you have evidence showing this, then he is going to have a hard time explaining where the dog is now, why he did not return it and why he should not have to pay you for the money received. In addition, the items that were left, he will have a hard time explaining to the court, why he has a legal right to keep them. Once you file suit against him, he will likely respond and the case will go to mediation. You will have a chance to sit down with him and a 3rd party to work this out and if it can not be done, then the Judge will step in and decide. While it will be your word against his, he can not lie under oath and remain silent. If he does not respond or tell his side of the story, the Judge will only be able to go off of what you said and find in your favor.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Hi Pamela. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!