Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

ra rcv

Customer Question

are there any pro bono lawyers who would be willing to represent me in Yamhill County Oregon concerning a misderminer (class A) arrest for failure to register as a sex offender? I have registered continuiously for the past 15 years since release from prison, and was under the assumption I only needed to register for 15 years. Last week I was stopped for a traffic infraction and arrested for failure to register. I am out on O.R. and my next court date is on Feb. 22nd. I was railroaded by a P.D. when I was convicted and cant afford a high dollar attorney.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Sam :

I suggest the best way to find a pro bono attorney will be to use the Oregon Bar Association Legal Referral Service.

Sam :

They have a Modest Means program that may be able to assist you

Customer :

So you are not from Oregon and cant assist?

Sam :

Keep in mind, however, that if you have any assets at all you may not qualify.

Sam :

Legal Pros on this website are precluded from representing customers of this site as per the Terms of Service

Customer :

I work, and would pay what I can, but my assets are few, and I only make about $300 a week

Sam :

I suggest the Modest Means program may be able to help you

Sam :

Click onto the blue link and read about it.

Customer :

My conviction was in California

Sam :

Ok

Customer :

Is that available in Oregon. When I was convicted I had a public defender and it was a big mistake.

Sam :

But you have to register in Oregon Correct?

Customer :

I did until last year, I was under the assumption that I only had to register for 15 years, so I didnt register after last year. When I was booked and released I registered before I left the jail. I am registered now

Sam :

I see

Customer :

They didnt suggest I register, I asked them to register me before I exited the jail.

Sam :

Ok. So is it CA or Oregon where you have to appear now on Feb 22

Customer :

Oregon

Customer :

Yamhill County, McMinnville, Oregon

Sam :

Ok.

Customer :

So far all the lawyers I have contacted want $500 or more retainer to handle this

Sam :

Then you need an OR attorney

Sam :

And I suggest that you will want to use the Modest Means program

Sam :

There is an application process on that link and I suggest you will want to do that sooner than later

Sam :

Since your hearing is this month

Customer :

So, your best adice is to find an Oregon attorney?

Customer :

Do I go to the Oregon Bar website to find this Modest Means application?

Sam :

Advice? You asked it there are any pro bono attorneys and that you have looked online to no avail.

Sam :

I have proviided you information on how to find a possible pro bono attorney to assist you

Customer :

Seems all the pro bono attornys are for civil cases

Sam :

Yes, please click onto that blue link and then the Modest Means Program

Customer :

Thank you for your time.

Sam :

You never know. There may be one or two who are very interested in sex offender registration matters

Sam :

Some have taken up that charge/cause because they believe even though it is a civil and not criminal penalty it is a Constitution violation

Customer :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX am still at square one here, I appreciate your time just the same and will return to my web search

Sam :

Good luck with everything

Customer :

thanks

Sam :

You do what you feel is the right thing for you. But I dont deserve a Poor Rating.

Sam :

that is not even fair. I gave you the best information available

Sam :

I wish you the best of karma with this and the future

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.