MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

A co-worker shared some information with my employer. The

A co-worker shared some information with my employer. The information is mostly accurrate and true. The co-worker does not like me and was trying to influence my reputation to my employer. Is this Slander if the basic factual information is true?

What about him adding his opinion to it? I don't really care what he thinks of me, but if it affects my employment I want to know if I can take action against him.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Slander requires that the information published be false in nature, if the information was true it would not constitute slander. However, if the intent was to interfere or harm your relationship with the employer there may be a cause of action there, depending on the state. In what state did this occur?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are in California.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the tort of tortious inteference and this could be a basis to pursue the employee (for interfering in your employment with the intent to cause harm thereto, without sufficient cause or reasonable interest in doing so). Please let me know if this answers your question, and if not what follow up questions you have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I confronted the person and asked why he would tell our boss that information. He said he was in a discussion with the boss and it came up in conversation and was merely stating the facts that he was privey to. I know that they were in a meeting about something similar regarding himself. It isn't unreasable to think that it might come up naturally. I just know he doesn't like me and would love to try and jam me up. Do you think it would be difficult for me to bring action against him if I was to be fired?

It depends, would it be reasonable to conclude that even if an employee was indifferent to you, that an employee whom neither likes or dislikes you would believe the information this employee disclosed is information that the employer would want to know? Put another way, would an average employee tell the employer what this employee told the employer based on an allegiance to the employer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know. He isn't the only one that has the information that was divulged to the boss. He is just the only one I know, for sure, spoke to the boss about it.

thank you for your time.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX question in whether you have a viable claim for tortious inteference is whether the employer would reasonably want to know the information and therefore an employee would recognize this and disclose the information. To illustrate, if an employee was stealing money it is reasonable an employer would want to know this and whether the employee that disclosed this dislike the stealing employee or not, no cause of action for tortious inteference would be sustained because employee theft is something an employer would want to know. Please let me know if you have any follow up quesitons, and if I have answered your questions please remember to positively rate my answers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is interesting that you should mention that. The issue in question is that the boss expressed that he was passionately disappointed in this guy having found out that he had a pending lawsuit against a previous employer. We all worked for the same company previously. I chose not to file suit against them because I was still in a suit against a different previous employer. When the boss found out about the lawsuit he expressed his disgust in front of me and many others. The other guy was in a meeting with the boss yesterday and discussing, among other things, how the boss felt about the lawsuit. That is when I was thrown under the bus. He said he told the boss that he didn't think it was right for him to be singled out for reprimand when I had brought several actions against previous employers.

Thank you, this could fall under tortious inteference as your claim against a prior employer or employers is not relevant to you carrying out your duties under your current employment. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.