Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

A small biotech company barrowed an equipment from me and they

A small biotech company barrowed an equipment from me and they responded initially to retrun the equipment in a month through email and now they are not responding to my email requests to return immediately. Can I take any legal action. Appreciate your response.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Sam :

Hi

Sam :

I am sorry to hear about this

Sam :

Please tell me if you have any written information about this or just your emails?

Sam :

Are they in the same state?

Sam :

What were the terms of your agreement?

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Can you see I need more information?

Please give that information to me so I can provide you a true and correct answer.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just emails, with his promise to return the unit aafter one month. waited for one month and sent him an,email requesting to return the unit. But he is not responding to my emails or phone message. He spent 1500
On this unit, which I am,prepared to reimburse. Same was communicated to him through email.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Do you live in the same state as this person? Because you are going to have to sue him and the value will determine where you need to sue

Do you want information on how to proceed accordingly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes we live in same state about 100km away. The used instrument with similar condition cost around 10 k to 25k.just tried to help him in his project. He came to me and picked up the instrument.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would like to sue him in small claim court as the fees is small. Please advice.thanks
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Ok thank you.

I suggest you will have to sue him for the return of the machine. You can sue him in the county where he lives or in the county where the machine was when he came to pick it up

You will need to sue in Superior court, as the value of the machine precludes you from suing in Small Claims court - that cap is $7500

Unfortunately, filingin Superior Court is not as easy as doing it yourself in small claims

Now, if you have his address you can begin by sending him a demand to return the machine or pay the cost - such a letter will have to be mailed Certified with a Return Receipt Requested

And you might want to consult with a local attorney to mail that demand and if it is not returned then you will have to sue and he may be able take the case for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice. Is it possible for you to write a demand letter on my behalf. What will be the cost. he took theequipment in the parking lot of my work place.
I will be happy uf I get at least 7500k. And want to sue him in small claims court as I cannot afford time and money in,superior court
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi

I cannot write anything for you. I can suggest that you can state the following

This is a demand that you either return (the name of the machine) that you borrowed on such and such a date or that you give me the monetary value. You need to contact me within 7 days of receipt of this demand or I will have no other choice but to file a lawsuit.

If you want to sue in small claims, then you can sue up to $7500 and you can get those forms from the small claims court in your county

If you have other questions, please post them here and I will provide you information. Otherwise, I would appreciate you taking time to rate this service "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close your question. You will always be able to review it. It will only close a Chat - Thank you and good luck

Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.