ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Do I need to ask permission from the photographer to use any

Do I need to ask permission from the photographer to use any of the photos in google images? The link is below. I plan to use these photos as background for graphic design and may just use them directly and put it on our advertising material. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=865&bih=3 79&q=nature+photos&oq=nature+photos&gs_l=img.3..0l10.3777.18400.0.19184.31.23.0.4.4.2.125.1399.22j1.23.0...0.0...1ac.1.2.img.RMjMU0FTGx4#hl=en&tbo=d&site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=amazing+nature+photos&revid=1150280280&sa=X&ei=i_sLUYmZFaTBigKqmoHICQ&ved=0CGsQgxY&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41867550,d.cGE&fp=ba9e46a011f3d7eb&biw=865&bih=379

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Absolutely. ONLY if you have an image that is "public domain", or that you have taken and own the copyright to, or you have a "license" from the copyright holder, could you use that without copyright infringement.

ScottyMacEsq :

Otherwise, if you use that (particularly in a commercial context) without permission, then that would be infringement.

ScottyMacEsq :

Now it's not necessarily the photographer that you would need permission from.

ScottyMacEsq :

Rather, it's the owner of the copyright.

ScottyMacEsq :

Often that is the photographer, but not necessarily.

Customer:

Thank you for your answer. To confirm, any of the photos and images I found under "google images" need permission, yes?

ScottyMacEsq :

(for instance, if a photographer works for a newspaper or news service, any photographs taken will belong to that news service)

ScottyMacEsq :

Yes, unless the image is public domain.

ScottyMacEsq :

But it's NOT public domain merely because you found it under Google images.

ScottyMacEsq :

Google doesn't own these images. It might own some, but these images are merely compiled, and you would need the permission (through a "license") from the owner of the image.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

ScottyMacEsq :

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Customer:

If I google "free pictures of nature", or "free pictures of something", what comes up in google should be o.k. to use without permission, right?

ScottyMacEsq :

Not necessarily. You would want to go to that site and verify that the pictures really are free to use and "public domain".

ScottyMacEsq :

Just because it says it's free does not necessarily mean that it's free to use.

ScottyMacEsq :

Even open license (creative commons) pictures are generally for non commercial purposes.

ScottyMacEsq :

Customer:

Can you please answer this last question I have, then I am ready to finish.

ScottyMacEsq :

Okay, so long as it's within the scope of the original question...

Customer:

Sorry, I just saw your answer. Thank you so much, I am ready to finish and rate your answer. You have been an excellent help and thank you very much!

ScottyMacEsq :

My pleasure. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~35 minutes) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

ScottyMacEsq :

Please respond. I am patiently waiting, but there are other customers that are awaiting an answer to their questions, and I only get credit for questions answered AND accepted, not how long I spend on a question.

ScottyMacEsq :

Customer:

No more questions. Thank you. Sorry I had to attend something urgent and had to keep you waiting.