Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I was turned away from my dr because I no longer have medicaid

I was turned away from my dr because I no longer have medicaid and could not afford to pay in full. I asked if there was a payment plan available for me. I was told no. I became visibly upset. However, no one advised me to speak with billing office. I did my own research and found out that there are several payment options available. I also researched my patient rights and believe that they have violated my rights. My question: what do I do next? Should I hire an attorney?

Sam :

Hi

Sam :

I am sorry that this has happened to you

Sam :

You ask:

"what do I do next? Should I hire an attorney"?

and to that I have to ask you - what is it you want to accomplish? Do you want medical care or do you want to try to sue someone?

Customer:

Well, I am so fed up with that hospital. I will never go there again. So, yes I would like to sue.

Sam :

Ok

Sam :

Then yes, your next step is to consult with a local attorney - try a local litigation attorney and I can suggest you use the Kansas Bar Association for a legal referral service

Sam :

1(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>

Sam :

This is a terrible situation and if you feel that they have denied you because you have no money or insurance then you should have a basis to sue them

Customer:

Have you seen cases like this before? And if so, what is the usual outcome?

Sam :

Especially when you asked about a payment plan and was told no.

Sam :

NOW, keep in mind that even though a doctor is located in a hospital, they do not have to accept payment plans even though the hospital might

Customer:

Yes, and I did research their billing options and there are several for people without insurance. So they lied to me.

Sam :

So I suggest you truly verify that

Customer:

Ok, I was told that she was an employee of the hospital and could not accept payment plan because it is against hospital policy. Which of coarse is untrue.

Sam :

It is possible, that you can find a local attorney to take your case on a contingency basis

Sam :

Ah. Yes, that is an outright lie, it seems

Customer:

What does that mean? Contingency

Sam :

And you will need to show that the person who told you that did so with an intent to keep you from a payment plan. That they knew the truth

Sam :

A contingency means the attorney will sue and the fee will be a percentage of any settlement they can get for you from the hospital

Sam :

And if they dont win, you have no fee obligation to the attorney

Customer:

Ok thank you. Do think I have a chance getting an attorney to take on this case at all?

Sam :

It's hard to tell. But your consultation should be free

Sam :

I cannot predict because I do not have all the facts and a local attorney will be able to review all your records, etc

Sam :

and also the hospital policy to see how it was used against you

Sam :

When you call the referral service, tell them you need an attorney who will do a case on contingency

Customer:

ok got it.

Customer:

Ok, thank you for your time.

Sam :

If you have other questions, please post them here and I will provide you information. Otherwise, I would appreciate you taking time to rate this service "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close your question. You will always be able to review it. It will only close a Chat - Thank you and good luck

Customer:

Thank you.