Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am recieving bi-weekly workmens compensation payments in

I am recieving bi-weekly workmens compensation payments in NYS and the compensation court has determined based on medical evidence that my impairment is permanent and they are going to move forward with a settlement negotiation to close my case. My question is-Due to my injury I see my Dr. regularily. My compensation attorney has given me two scenarios-1 being that the private insurance carrier would remain responsible for my medical needs from my accident-2-The government would be responsible for my medical needs from my accident. In the 1st scenario I understand that the insurance carrier would negotiate a smaller award based on their ongoing liability. The 2nd scenario my attorney is telling me the gov't reviews my case and will"hold" a portion of my reward to help offset any future care I need. Is there any way you could estimate how much the govt % would withold from my award?
The amount they will withhold would depend on the estimate of your care needed in the future, but generally it is between 25%-33% of the total award. Also, once that set aside is used up then the insurance or medicare (if you are eligible) would pick up and make the payments (this is known as the insurance or medicare set aside).

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”