How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25037
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is an internet social forum issue. A member has been spreading

Resolved Question:

This is an internet social forum issue. A member has been spreading rumors and lies to other members that I am unstable and have threaten another member with a gun.

She has a personal problem with me for reasons I can only speculate. I don't take issues of these accusations lightly especially in light of the gun issues today. The rumor and lies have finally reached me in a private message from a friend of mine that was told by this member that is spreading these lies to other members.

What is my recourse or options? I have contacted the administrator but she has done nothing to control this member and her attitude on the forum pertaining to me.

This member that is spreading the lies is not posting on the forum openly she is engaging with other members under the forum in emails and private messages but it has affected me with my interaction with other members on the forum. And has affected me emotionally due to the way I have been treated on the forum. I tried for the most part to ignore being treated poorly by this member the others ignore me. Now I know why finally.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

"Unstable" is typically a matter of opinion. In and of itself, it likely wouldn't be considered actionable. Except in the hands of a licensed psychologist, that is a word that many people throw around, and it carries little weight without anything to back it up. However, if someone is telling people that you threatened them with a gun, that is defamation of character. Defamation of character is an untrue statement of fact, made to a third party, that tends to harm the reputation of the person about whom the statement was made. When the statement is about the commission of a crime, reputational harm is presumed. Thus, you may have a claim for damages against the person who made the statement.

The administrator unfortunately isn't responsible for this other person's actions, unless she is repeating the statements or telling other people that they are true. Under federal law, the owner of a website or person who hosts a forum is not liable for comments made by third parties on the site.

Typically, these cases are brought in Small Claims Court. If you are able to tell me where you are located, I can get you more information about the Small Claims Courts in your area.

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in Hawaii the person making these claims lives in CA

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, that means that you have to sue in California if you want to use Small Claims Court. In California, a person can seek up to $7,500 in small claims.

You can, however, sue a non-resident in the Hawaii Regular Claims Division, which hears disputes of $5,000-$25,000. Because you are located in Hawaii, and the other person's intentional wrongful act is affecting you and causing damage to you in Hawaii, the Hawaii courts have jurisdiction. This site has more information, and some forms for the different counties.

Another option is to draft the Complaint yourself, if you cannot find the forms. There are books at any law library that will show you the format, and the Complaint need only allege sufficient facts to establish that the other person is making untrue, negative statements against you, and that these statements are causing harm to your reputation. Websites such as LegalZoom or USLegalForms also may have something that will help you file the case, if you prefer not to hire a lawyer.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25037
Experience: Lawyer
Lucy, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.