Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I have a tax question about survivorship social security money

I have a tax question about survivorship social security money and working.

If a 16 year old receives $9000 per year in survivorship money can she work without losing any of those benefits? I know that a 62 year old is penalized for working. I believe if a 62 year old makes over $14,000 (or close to that) per year they can be penalized 1 dollar for every 2 dollars earned.

Does the same type of penalty apply to teenagers? If a 16 year old makes over a certain number in wages does the survivorship Social Security payment get reduced?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, the same rule applies. A person receiving survivor's benefits who works will have the benefits reduced. Social Security will deduct $1 from the benefits for every $2 that a survivor earns above $15,120.
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10069.html#a0=0

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.