ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Hello, My name isXXXXX bought a used car I

My name is Melissa,

I bought a used car means that I own it now but I'm still trying to get the title on my name but the big problem is from whom I bought the car this person never transfered the title on his name. my question is: does the 1st owner still have the rights to ask for an investigation at MVC on this vehicle that was sold by him a long time ago?

Am I the one who supposed to agree with that first since its my car now?

can I go to motor vehicle and talk to a supervisor?
At least they could accelerate the processes for me!

This is already taking to long and I'm big time worried.

Thank you very much for your precious help.

Melissa
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. Once you respond to my follow up question, I will respond as soon as I can. Please note that I may be assisting other customers or otherwise out of the office (depending when you respond). Thank you.

Customer: Thank you very much to keep me posted i will be waiting
ScottyMacEsq :

I had asked a follow up question, but for some reason it did not post it.

ScottyMacEsq :

Was there any representation that he was the title owner of the vehicle?

ScottyMacEsq :

My follow up question was: do you have anything in writing regarding this sale from the previous owner?

Customer: When the second owner sold me the car he handed the title to me as he said the name on it is his niece's.
Customer: I just have the title from him but name of the first owner.
Customer: i discovered that the 1st owner sold the car for nothing
Customer: between $250.00 and 500.00 I'm not sure but the lady very upset confirmed that the last time I met with her.
Customer: i just got from Mvc and I contacted the investigator already
Customer: they said if the lady sold the car as junk to a towing company or junk yard so first of all they repaired it but they should declare it on a junk title first after reparation if it's running properly they should re declare it as a normal car title but under the name of the towing company or the second owner and now sale it to me.
Customer: Now my question is after the investigation when they can confirm all that
Customer: from junk car to valuable car, is there any fine or penalties If the 2nd owner is willing to put his name on the title so I can have the ownership from him directly not from the 1st owner?
Customer: Please advise thank u very much,
ScottyMacEsq :

To be clear, she sold the car to a towing company? And the towing company to the person that sold it to you? Or if not, how did the person that sold it to you get the vehicle?

Customer: Seems like the person is working at the towing company
ScottyMacEsq :

Did he sell it on behalf of the towing company?

ScottyMacEsq :

That is, if the towing company bought it, it would be an asset of the towing company, not the man. So he could not sell it on behalf of himself, but could on behalf of the towing company.

Customer: Yes this is what he said but I have no paper to prove that but the title
Customer: It's seems like he took he junk car from a towing company and sold it
Customer: If this is the case the junk car was stolen then
ScottyMacEsq :

Have you spoken with that towing company?

Customer: No but I found the cards and everything inside of the car do u think I should call because I have it right now and I have vin number and everything
ScottyMacEsq :

Absolutely. Let them know that this happened, that you purchased the vehicle from this person, and are wondering if he had the authority to sell it to you. You should get this in writing by someone who is a "principal" of the company (someone with authority to bind that company). Even a fax or email would be sufficient, but you want to protect yourself.

Customer: Do u think they can identify it even if it was a junk this could be my hope I cannot loose that money and not only the guy refused to give me a receipt he refused to reimburse me the money
ScottyMacEsq :

If they say that he did not have authority, you could absolutely sue him.

ScottyMacEsq :

You could also threaten to report him to the police, because that would be fraud.

Customer: Thank you very much, let me call now and get back to you also I forgot to mention he told me his name but I don't think it's real either
ScottyMacEsq :

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Note that you can ask follow up questions after you rate, but your rating would allow me to assist other customers in the meantime. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

ScottyMacEsq :

\Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response.

ScottyMacEsq :

Please respond. I am patiently waiting, but there are other customers that are awaiting an answer to their questions, and I only get credit for questions answered AND accepted, not how long I spend on a question.

ScottyMacEsq :

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

ScottyMacEsq :

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there is something else that I can help you with, please let me know. Please note that I do not get any credit for the time and effort I spent on this (or any question) unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!.

Customer: I apologize I got off to call
Customer: Last question
ScottyMacEsq :

Okay...

Customer: the car park in a parking lot where it says visitor parking
Customer: its a busy place and the guy is asking me to move it somewhere else before it get towed again but the place that he ask me to go is a place that he knows himself and its a junk yard
Customer: He keeps on telling me that they gonna tow it that I got to move it
Customer: So do u think that it's better to just leave the car park there until the investigation result
Customer: I got the keys the title and everything so should I be worried or just leave it there
ScottyMacEsq :

That's hard to say. The investigation will not pause any towing. It can still be towed, even though it's not certain who the owner is. If you have a good place to put it for the time being, I would do so.

ScottyMacEsq :

That way, you don't have to worry about finding it later on when things are worked out.

Customer: Thank you very much for your help
Customer: Nice working with you
ScottyMacEsq :

My pleasure. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~45 minutes) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

Customer: 😀
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney