Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I just sent an message about my grandson and not being able

I just sent an message about my grandson and not being able to have lunch in school. My email address isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. I'm not sure how this website works so I thought I better include my email address since I haven't heard anything back from anyone yet. I sent the message about 5-8 minutes ago.
My grandson is in 2nd grade in Littlestown. We have just learned that he is being given less than 10 minutes to eat a sandwich & then he is taken to the library to practice his reading. He is not given a snack or a drink. He comes home from school VERY hungry. Is this legal, not allowing a child to eat his lunch?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Sam :

Hi

Sam :

I am sorry to hear of this situation

Customer:

Is there anything we can do to ensure my grandson gets his lunch AND his education?

Sam :

So this decision to split the lunch break with the reading was made without any notification to the parents?

Customer:

They were not told of this until today by a TSS worker. Assparently this has been going on for a couple of weeks.

Customer:

oops....apparently

Sam :

Ok

Sam :

Well, i suggest that a conference needs to be done where the parents are told that the boy seems to need tutoring time and that maybe the best time is after he has eaten is lunch

Sam :

Students are supposed to have ample time to eat and exercise during the school day and that delineated time should be in the student handbook

Sam :

So I suggest you may want to check there to see what it says - like 10 minutes to eat, and 15 to exercise

Sam :

This really will come down to what the parents and school administrators can agree on

Customer:

We will try that but this school administration doesn't like to hear

criticism. Parents are just supposed to listen and not act. I will go with the parents and if this doesn't help, then I will contact you again. THANKS FOR YOU HELP.
Sam :

If the parents do not want him to miss his 15 minutes of lunch exercise,, then perhaps other arrangements can be made for the tutoring of the reading

Sam :

Hold on

Customer:

OK

Sam :

If the principal and counselors do not want to listen, then go to the Department of Education in the county

Sam :

And talk to someone there

Sam :

Take it to the top. Find out why the child needs the extra reading time and not that you are opposed to it, but you should have been told about it

Customer:

Ok. Thank you for all your help. Hopefully, I won't have to contact you anymore.

Sam :

If you have other questions, please post them here and I will provide you information. Otherwise, I would appreciate you taking time to rate this service "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close your question. You will always be able to review it. It will only close a Chat - Thank you and good luck

Customer:

Thank you and yes it was excellent so you will get credit for it.

Sam :

Thank you I appreciate your rating below. Good luck. Take it to the top and talk to the Superintendent of Schools

Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.